My cousins got it for me for Christmas. Lots of my friends are into it and my mom is OK with me reading it, so I decided to give it a chance.
Harry's parents were killed in an attack by the dark wizard, Voldemort when Harry was only a baby. Harry survived with only a small lightning-shaped scar on his forehead. Harry was sent to live with his aunt, his uncle, and his horrible cousin, Dudley. Harry was forced to live a horrid life there where he was locked up in a small storage room under the stair well eating very little and becoming very thin. He didn't even know that the wizarding world existed, or that that is where he belonged. He wondered if he was ever going to escape his horrible life there, with the Dursleys.
Harry thought he was stuck with them for good until Uncle Vernon decided the were going away. Where Uncle Vernon was going to drive them, no one knew. All that Harry was sure of, is that he was locked up in the car, in the middle of nowhere, with a crying, screaming Dudley. Life was miserable.
That night, Harry was greeted by a giant named Hagrid. Harry was informed of his historic past and invited to Hogwarts, a school of witchcraft and wizardry. There, he had some of the bast days of his life.
Here is what took place:
- Harry was sorted into the Gryfinndor House and had a funny encounter with the Sorting Hat on the way.
- Harry joined the Gryfinndor Quidditch team. There he made history for being the youngest player in the history of Hogwarts, being only a first year.
- Harry made friends with Hermione and Ron.
- Harry was swarmed around by so many students and even teachers.
- Harry helped Hagrid illegally hatch a baby Norwegian Ridgeback. In the process of receiving the baby dragon, Hagrid accidentally spilled the beans on some very important information to the person he got the baby dragon from. This person turned out to be Harry Potter's biggest enemy. Hagrid's mishap almost cost Harry his life.
- Harry was sent to the Forbidden Forest as punishment. (Read the book and you will find out what he did!) :)
- Harry was sadly sent back to live with the Dursley's over summer, where he was even more mistreated than before.
I liked and disliked parts of this book. Though I liked it a lot more than I disliked it. I felt like they focused a little too much on his life with the Dursley's. At a point it got kind of boring. Other than that, I loved the whole entire book. This book seemed to take me to a whole other world. I forgot about everything else while I was reading this book. I love the fantasy and the characters. This book is so creative. I applaud J.K. in this series
This book is not for everyone. I know plenty of kids whose parents are OK with this book series and the kids love it. On the other hand, I know plenty of kids whose parents do not approve of this series because of the witchcraft. I also know kids whose parents don't really have a strong opinion of like or dislike. Therefore, this book is not for everyone. I do not have anything else to add.