Welcome to Monroe County Public Library!
As a visitor to the library, you can expect:
- Excellent service
- Respect for your privacy
- A welcoming environment
Please fill out a comment card about your experience at the library.
Thank you for visiting Monroe County Public Library.
The library is a place that belongs to everyone. We have established basic rules of courtesy so that our library facilities are pleasant places for all to visit.
If your conduct or activities violate our rules, you will be asked to change your disruptive behavior. Failure to do so may result in the loss of library privileges, up to and including removal from the building and contacting police. The library defines "disruptive behavior" as any act that interferes with library service or with someone else's use of the library.
Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- Possession of alcohol, illegal substances, or a weapon (except as permitted under Indiana Code 35-47-11.1) on library property
- Abusive, threatening, or harassing behavior in any form
- Mutilation, defacement, or theft of library materials and equipment or the private property of staff or other visitors
- Selling, polling, soliciting, panhandling, or loitering on library property
- Intoxication or impairment
- Sexual behavior
- Sleeping in the library
- Strong odors that interfere with or disrupt others from using library spaces
- Use of audible sound devices that disrupt others' use of the library
- Use of furniture, library equipment and facilities in a manner for which they were not intended
Other rules for the comfort and safety of visitors and staff include, but are not limited to:
- Children under the age of 7 may not be left unattended anywhere in the library.
- The use of tobacco, tobacco products, and smoking related products* is strictly prohibited in library buildings, in library vehicles, and on library property. The library is 100% tobacco free, both inside and out. *Prohibited products include, but are not limited to, cigarettes, electronic cigarettes (ecigs), vaporizers, cigars and cigarillos, hookah smoked products, pipes, and oral tobacco (e.g., spit and spitless, smokeless, chew, snuff) and nasal tobacco (e.g. snus). Any product intended to mimic tobacco products or the smoking of any other substance is prohibited.
- Food is allowed in the library. Drink containers must have secure lids; leftover food and containers must be disposed of promptly and properly. The library has designated specific areas for food and drink.
- Use of library office equipment and/or telephones is not permitted. Courtesy phones for emergencies are available at the information desks at any facility.
- Only service animals or animals involved in library programs are allowed in the library. No unattended animals are allowed on library property.
- Visitors who wish to take photographs or videotape or use other recording devices must be authorized by the individuals involved or by the parents or guardians of minors.
- All briefcases, luggage, handbags, packages, overcoats and shopping bags may be inspected by library security staff at any time.
- All visitors must wear shoes and shirts while in the library.
- Visitors may not enter non-public areas unless accompanied by library staff.
- No roller blades, scooters, or skateboards may be used on library property.
Approved by the Board of Trustees  on October 18, 2006. Revised on June 15, 2011. Updated on January 18, 2012. Updated on June 17, 2015.