Criteria for Matching
A successful tutor-learner match provides a rewarding volunteer experience for the tutor, while effectively serving the educational needs of the adult learner. The following criteria are considered when pairing tutors and learners.
- Learner’s stated needs, goals, and tutor preference
- Tutor’s previous teaching and tutoring experience
- Tutor’s preferred teaching areas and the learner’s skill level and aptitude
- Mutual availability of tutor and learner (day of week, time of day, and duration of pairing)
- Learner’s history with the program (record of progress, dependability and commitment)
- Tutor’s history with the program (previous success, dependability, and commitment)
- Potential personal compatibility
- Date of learner’s intake interview
VITAL is not always equipped, nor is it obligated, to serve all learner applicants. We refer persons to other programs as appropriate. Indiana University students are not eligible for one to one tutoring.
For more information about VITAL call (812) 349-3173, email vital [at] mcpl [dot] info or visit the VITAL office on the second floor of the Main Library.
Tutoring Report [PDF] (Required twice a year) For documenting your volunteer hours and your learner's activities and outcomes.
Inventory and Bader Assessment Report [PDF] To record your learner's inventory, needs, and Bader Assessment results. (Not required. Fill out and submit to VITAL as needed.)