Fines and Fees
Overdue items result in a 25-cent fine per item, per day with a maximum fine per item of $10.00. Fines are assessed for all overdue items except those from the Children’s or Bookmobile collections.
You may pay any balance owed the Library in person using cash, personal check, or debit/credit card. Debit/credit card payments may be made online at My Account > Fines & Fees.
Anyone under the age of 18 may participate in the library's Read It Off program. This is an easy, fun, and free way to clear fines by reading!
To borrow physical items, bring them to any designated Customer Assistance Desk or self-checkout station with a valid Library Card in good standing. Cardholders age 18 or over may present either a Library Card or an acceptable photo ID at the time of checkout. Patrons age 17 or under who do not have their Library Card or a photo ID may supply other identifying information.
- Driver's License
- State ID
- Learner's Permit
- Consular ID
- Military ID
- Student ID
*Patrons age 17 or under who do not have a photo ID may supply other identifying information to verify identity.
- Have that person's Library card in hand –or–
- Know their My Account username and password (for self-check) –or–
- Verify with an acceptable photo ID that you have their permission to pick up items for them. Cardholders grant permission for others to pick up their items by completing a form in person, and presenting it with acceptable photo ID. Holds for patrons under the age of 18 may picked up by a parent or legal guardian.
(eBooks, streaming movies, eMagazines, etc.) is easy, but each platform has its own checkout procedures. For more information, visit the Help sections of the Library's various eLibrary platforms listed by category.
Borrowing Periods and Limits
The maximum total number of items, of any type, allowed on a Library account at any one time is 100. Certain items (e.g., Express items, mobile hotspots) may have special borrowing terms or irregular borrowing periods. Be sure to consult your receipt or account for due dates.
|Material Type||Loan Period||Number of Items at a Time|
|Music CDs||21 days||21|
|Magazines||7 days||No limit|
|Everything else||21 days||No limit, unless noted|
Unless someone else requests an item that you've borrowed, most items may be renewed twice. Items eligible for renewal will automatically renew shortly before their due date. To receive email or text notifications of automatic renewals, you must include an email address or phone number in your settings at My Account > Contact Information. Normal borrowing and return policies apply to items not eligible for renewal.
- Log in to My Account
- Choose "My Items Out / My Renewals" in the block on the left-hand side of the My Account page
- To renew all items on your account, choose "Renew All Items" below the list of your current checkouts
- To renew selected items, check the boxes next to their titles in your list of current checkouts, then choose "Renew Selected Items"
Returning Library Items
Regardless of where Library items are borrowed, they may be returned to any of the following locations. Outdoor return slots are open 24 hours a day. Although most items are suitable for these slots, certain items must be returned directly to a service desk; please note any special return instructions on items you borrow.
- Main Library
- Ellettsville Branch Library
- Outreach Van