|Do you have materials you'd like to donate to the Friends of the Library bookstore? Great! Here are some facts to keep in mind.
What We Accept
We always need books—old or new, unopened or well-loved. Cassette tapes, artwork, VHS movies, DVDs, music CDs and vinyl records are also gladly accepted. If you have magazines you'd like to donate, please call us first at (812) 349-3083, because our needs vary.
Guidelines for Donations
The Friends of the Library Bookstore welcomes donations of gently used
- popular & scholarly books,
- children's books
- recorded books (cassette tapes or CDs)
- movies (VHS or DVDs)
- music (records, cassette tapes, or CDs)
- current magazines
Please do not donate
- Text books that are more than 20 yrs old
- Books that are damaged, including those that have
- Loose or missing pages
- Mold that you can see or smell
- Water damage
- Annual publications (like travel guides, almanacs, test preparation guides) which are more than 5 years old)
- Encyclopedias or computer manuals more than 5 years old
(However we accept children's encyclopedias of any age.)
- Reader's Digest Condensed Books
These materials can be recycled at the warehouse of
Where to Take Donations
You may donate in several ways at the checkout desks and the Bookstore.
- Bring materials to either checkout desk at the Main Library any time the Library is open. View hours.
- If you only have a few bags or boxes, you may bring them to the Ellettsville Branch any time the Library is open. View hours.
- Bring materials to the Drive Thru window at the Main Library. View hours.
- Bring materials directly to the Friends of the Library Bookstore when it is open. View hours.
- Call 812-349-3083 to arrange for a large donation to be picked up from your home.
If you have questions about these guidelines or about making a donation to the Friends of the Library Bookstore, please call 812-349-3083.
Thank you for your donations. Proceeds from the sale of donated materials go to support Library programs.