The Library provides art exhibit and display spaces for public use. The Art Exhibit and Display Policy is developed in accordance with the Library's mission, vision, and values. Exhibit and display spaces are available to individuals and community nonprofit groups on equal terms regardless of opinion or affiliation. The Library does not sponsor nor endorse the views of any individual or group using the exhibit and display spaces.
This policy is for use of the Library by external groups and individuals and does not apply to use by Library staff, the Library Foundation/Friends of the Library, and groups collaborating with the Library on an exhibit or display. It applies to all spaces used by the public for display or exhibit, including Library meeting rooms or other areas of the Library.
The Library reserves its display cases and display spaces for the primary purpose of presenting itself and the Library Foundation/Friends of the Library to the community.
The Library has procedures for the use and scheduling of exhibit and display spaces that are in the best interest of the Library and the community.
General guidelines: individuals and groups can reserve space through the Library’s meeting room/space reservation webpage or by calling the Administrative and Volunteer Services Assistant at 812 349-3050 ext. 1000.
- Those reserving exhibit and display spaces are asked to remember that these spaces are public areas readily accessible to Library patrons of all ages.
- The Library reserves the right to deny requests for any reason and to remove exhibits and displays at any time.
- Direct sale of works on exhibit is not permitted on Library property. There shall be no pricing information posted with the works.
- The Library reserves the right to preempt and schedule exhibit and display spaces for Library events and promotions as it deems necessary and appropriate.
- The Library is not responsible for any loss, theft, or damage that may occur while works are on exhibit. All who choose to exhibit will be required to sign a form releasing the Library from all such liability.
- Exhibits and display use is limited to no more than one month. Exceptions are made by Library administration only.
- The individual or group reserving space is required to utilitze the hanging hardware provided by the Library. The individual or group reserving the space shall provide all other supplies for displaying materials and is responsible for installing and removing works.
- The Meeting Room Coordinator can demonstrate at least one week in advance how to use the exhibit hardware and space(s).
- Library staff will not be available to assist with hanging and/or provide any signage related to an exhibit or display.
Both installation and removal must be completed during regular Library hours. The individual or group installing the display shall be responsible for any damage caused to the exhibit space while installing or removing the exhibit or display. The title of the exhibit and the name of the individual or group that is mounting it, as well as contact information, must appear prominently with the exhibit or display.
Gallery, first floor, Downtown Library
- Art Exhibits
Art exhibit space is available on four walls (A, B, C, and D). Please refer to the gallery setup form.
The Library accepts donations from artists for works sold as a result of being on exhibit at the Library.
- Public Displays
Space for informational/educational displays is available on wall C. Please refer to the gallery setup form. This space is also available for art exhibits.
The Ellettsville Branch has an art exhibit space located in the meeting room lobby. This space features hardware for wall-hung pieces.
Approved by the Library Board of Trustees October 20, 2021