1929 (all day)Bookmobile Service to Ellettsville
In June, 1928, the County Commissioners voted to fund the public library to expand services to rural and suburban districts through its "Book Truck" (later Bookmobile) program, the first such program in the state which started in 1929. A model A Ford was purchased for the services, and Miss Lois Henze was appointed to drive it. She continued to drive the Book Truck until 1965. Every two weeks, the Book Truck traveled through various parts of Monroe County loaded with 500 books. The program served 72 rural schools and several towns including Ellettsville. This service temporarily ceased during the Depression because of financial difficulties and the decrease in the number of schools.
1968 (all day)Ellettsville Storefront Branch
It became clear to the Library Board of Trustees that a bigger service location was needed in Ellettsvillle. A former grocery store at the corner of Sale and Vine Streets in downtown Ellettsville was remodeled to house the first branch of Monroe County Public Library in 1968. The remodel included new concrete floor, wall paneling, lowered ceilings, a heating and air conditioning system, and wall-to-wall carpeting. The branch remained in this location for 22 years, growing from an initial collection of 5,000 volumes to crowded shelves holding more than 20,000 books, records, audiocassettes, videos, and art prints.
1990 (all day)New Branch Facility
In December of 1988 a successful county-wide petition drive indicated widespread public support for funding a new branch. Planning began for a new 100,000 square foot building. The groundbreaking ceremony was held on October 8, 1989, and on September 17, 1990, the new branch opened to the public. The branch was built in an open floor plan by Pecsok, Jelliffe, Randall & Nice Architects to be both functional and flexible. It is fully handicapped accessible and there is public parking for up to 46 cars.
2005 (all day)Branch Remodeled
As a result of continued growth, the branch was remodeled to increase circulation workspace, modify collection areas and update the public space. This project was completed in spring of 2005. The branch now offers a shelving area where patrons can pick up their own books on hold and patron browsing areas for recently returned materials.
2009 (all day)Children's Room Added
A 2,000 square foot children's room was added to the branch in 2009. Colorful kites made by a local kite maker, Julie Johnston, hang from the soaring ceiling. Built-in window seats provide cozy reading nooks, and two walls of windows fill the room with natural light. Families enjoy the play areas, computer games, and fiction for birth through grade 8. Odle McGuire Shook Architects where awarded a citation for their unique design of the space.
2018 (all day)Ellettsville Branch Closed for Renovation
The Ellettsville Branch was closed in August of 2018 through February 2019 for a major renovation of the library space. During the closure services for library users were available at Endwright Center, through extra Bookmobile stops, and at the Downtown Library.
2019 (all day)Ellettsville Branch Changes
The Ellettsville Branch renovation designed by Matheu Architects added a new preschool room with imaginative play area and dedicated teen space with a DIY design studio. Additional changes included an expanded program room and kitchenette to accommodate large meetings of up to 110 people and an art gallery space. An updated collection of items includes video games for checkout and laptops for use within the building. The building now has a beautiful bay window with new seating area, new ADA-compliant restrooms and parking lot, a new heating and cooling system, and additional exterior improvements.