VITAL's volunteer tutors help thousands of adults attain greater life success through literacy. No experience is necessary to become a VITAL tutor, and training is provided. Tutors commit to two to three hours per week, for a minimum of six months.
- Meet in a public place (not a private residence)
- Schedule and keep weekly tutoring sessions.
- Contact learner in advance if meeting must be canceled
- Set goals and work towards them together (6 months minimum)
- Prepare for meetings (lesson planning)
To become a VITAL tutor, please register for VITAL Volunteer Orientation.
Basic Literacy Training presents new tutors with the skills and resources needed to help struggling adult readers (approximately 9 hours)
- English As a New Language (ENL) Training introduces new tutors to techniques and activities to support English language learner's reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills (approximately 8 hours)
- Computer Literacy Training prepares volunteers to assist with online job searches and applications, resume and cover letter writing, and teaching basic computer skills at weekly drop-in sessions (approximately 1 hour)
Once trained, tutors are matched according to the tutor’s areas of interest.