- The Library Board of Trustees approved hiring Matheu Architects, PC in April 2018 for a new branch feasibility study. They were selected based on proven qualifications and project experience in conducting similar studies. This will be complete on December 1.
- Conversations between MCPL, Matheu Architects, PC, and a number of community leaders and stakeholders informed the general location of this potential third library facility. The Southwest portion of the county is the largest growing area in terms of residential growth and population, is an underserved area for library services, and is one of the few available and viable land areas.
- Indian Creek, Clear Creek, Tapp Road, and Batchelor Middle School area residents can participate in scheduled community conversations in the fall of 2018. All Monroe County residents may provide input through our survey, branchplan [at] mcpl.info (subject: branch%20planning%20feedback) (by email), or by phone at (812) 349-3058. Printed copies of the survey may be mailed to the address shown. The survey will be available through October 14.
- Specifications and services for a new branch will be determined after needs have been identified through these community conversations and the feasibility study’s results. The Library’s current strategic direction planning process validated the need and desire in our community for an additional branch. Additional operational costs will be funded without impact on the two current Library branches and construction costs will be funded without any anticipated increase in tax rates.
Scheduled Community Conversations
- September 18: 6–7 PM, Lions Club, Kirksville, Indian Creek Township (at the corner of Rockport Road and Tarkington Lane)
- September 24: 6:45–7:45 PM, Broadview Learning Center Community Room (705 W. Coolidge Drive, building entrance #8, off of Brown Ave.)
- September 27: 7–8 PM, Batchelor Heights Clubhouse (3999 S. Cramer Circle)
Tentative Southwest Library Branch Planning and Construction Timeline
- 2018: Feasibility study for new branch planning through Matheu Architects, PC
- 2019: Determine budget and funding options within current tax rates
- 2019: Acquire site
- 2019/20: Hire architect to develop plans
- 2020: Seek bond approval, at current tax rate, for branch construction
- 2020: Finalize site and facility design plan
- 2021: Construction
- 2021–2022: Open new branch site