The only way to have a friend is to be one. —Ralph Waldo Emerson
Head to Bobby's Colorado Steakhouse for great food, super service, and a wonderful atmosphere. Lunch or dinner or gather with friends in the lounge, Colorado Steakhouse will donate 20% of what you spend when you bring your flyer and dine 11 am - 10 pm on Tuesday, August 14. Show your flyer available at library kiosks or print from our website. Your dining out has brought in more than $15,000 for the Library! Thank you for enjoying all that great food.
Knowledge as Currency & the Power of Books
Did you miss Adrian Matejka's talk at the Friends of the Library Annual Meeting? Thanks to Community Access TV Service, you can still take in his engaging and thoughtful talk as he read poetry and reflected on the importance of libraries in his life and for everyone. "Libraries, like poetry, are for the people." He noted how apt it was that our meeting was held on Juneteenth, a day that celebrates freedom, as libraries equal knowledge and opportunity and egalitarianism. View more on CATS!
Matejka's is Indiana's Poet Laureate. His most recent book, Map to the Stars (2017), "navigates the tensions between race, geography, and poverty in America during the Reagan Era...In Matejka’s poems, hope is the link between the convoluted realities of being poor and the inspiring possibilities of transcendence and escape—whether it comes from Star Trek, the dream of being one of the first black astronauts, or Sun Ra’s cosmic jazz." Among Matejka’s other honors are the Eugene and Marilyn Glick Indiana Authors Award, the Julia Peterkin Award, a Pushcart Prize, and fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation, the Lannan Foundation, and a Simon Fellowship from United States Artists.
- Supports award-winning Library programs for all ages
- Builds the Library's collection—from books, movies, and music to mobile wi-fi hotspots and digital creativity tools
- Prepares children for success in school through early literacy initiatives, the Summer Reading Program, and access to new technologies
- Provides an eAccess library card to every student in Monroe County, enabling access to top-quality Library content in the classroom
- Your Library works hard every day to provide equitable access to information and technology for everyone in the community. Your donation makes it possible.
The Friends of Monroe County Public Library support the mission, vision, and values of the Library. The Friends advocate for Monroe County Public Library and support Library collections, services, programs, and staff development.
Friends of the Library Office
303 E Kirkwood Ave, Bloomington, IN 47408
Office Hours: M–F, 10am-6pm
(812)349-3050, ext. 1080
FOL at mcpl.info